[clug] Re: Exercise and pay the bills! (linux Digest, Vol 74, Issue 5, Messages 2&9)

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Mon Feb 9 00:04:16 GMT 2009

Miles Goodhew wrote:

>> Message: 9
>> Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2009 19:31:47 -0800
>> From: Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com>
>> I decided to club one less baby seal per year instead.
>
>     Now let's not do anything rash! If god had wanted us to lay-off the
> baby seals, he wouldn't have made them so dang tasty!

So true. Note that the carbon output associated with one burger is
massive as well. You'd be better off eating a local vegetarian. I hear
that Steven Hanley is grain fed.

>     But generally, I like Paul's idea, I've often had it myself. I fully
> expect that in the current technological landscape, the first generation
> wouldn't make complete financial sense, but would be 100% satisfying to
> achieve. I'd bet my bottom-dollar that several revisions in, it would be
> a much more rewarding investment. In the meantime, there's the warm glow
> one gets from knowing you're using less power from whale-fired
> generators. This is much like what you get from solar panels or a MK1
> golf full of golf-cart batteries.

Its interesting that other people have such different payoff numbers
from the ones I produced. It would be convenient to my personal time
line for people to let us know how things are going after say six months
with a PV system.

Mikal