[clug] Connecting a monitor with xrandr

David Tulloh david at tulloh.id.au
Sun Dec 27 22:42:21 MST 2009

I often use my laptop with an external monitor, which I normally rotate
on it's side.

This is the recipe I follow every time I plug a monitor in.  Am I
missing something?  This seems far too complicated.

# Fire up the second monitor
xrandr --output VGA --auto --right-of LVDS
# Rotate the second monitor
xrandr -o right
# For some reason the first monitor is disabled now, switch it back on
xrandr --output LVDS --auto
# Now the monitors aren't using the full area.  This fixes it all up.
xrandr --output VGA --auto --right-of LVDS
# After the rotate the dpi is all wonky, which affects programs like
Mozilla.
xrandr --dpi 98x98

Does someone here understand X properly and can simplify this?

While I'm asking questions, does anyone know how to trigger a script on
connection of a video cable?  I've found HAL events for docking station
connection but not just plugging in a VGA line.

David