[clug] Seasonal USB dongle fun

Alex (Maxious) Sadleir maxious at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 23:41:40 MST 2009

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 11:36 AM, Andreas Bauer
<baueran at rsise.anu.edu.au> wrote:

> to connect, and the syslog shows that, indeed, CHAP authentication
> succeeded, but 1 second later I get a "Modem hangup" and "Connection
> terminated".  :-(

I know with Virgin Broadband (but not Virgin Mobile strangely) you
must not use CHAP authentication, only PAP authentication. If you
forget to disable CHAP, you'll get instantly disconnected - see
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1255185 for an
example failure log output from pppd.

To disable everything but PAP, I changed my /etc/ppp/options to:
refuse-chap
refuse-mschap
refuse-mschap-v2
refuse-eap
receive-all

I think you can just edit /etc/ppp/options to have "-chap" uncommented
on ubuntu but that's not how I did it - see
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014221 for further
discussion.

btw: the APN for optus is usually written as all lowercase "internet".
I don't know if that matters but better safe than sorry.