[clug] Diagnosing SSH performance problems [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Thu Dec 10 17:19:46 MST 2009

Brian Morris <brian at netspeed.com.au> writes:

> I have also seen this problem using rsync.
>
> I suspected it was either [a] MTU size too large [b] Excessive CPU load (as
> it must do the SSH encryption on the fly)

Shouldn't that be symmetric, though?  Certainly, AES is roughly equal on both
sides of the encrypt/decrypt cycle, so I wouldn't expect that to differ.

I am curious to know if you did hit asymmetric behaviour, though, since I have
not, and it is the sort of really strange problem I love to file away the
causes of in my memory. ;)

So, if you did, do you know which algorithm it was using at the time?

        Daniel