[clug] Diagnosing SSH performance problems [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Brian Morris brian at netspeed.com.au
Thu Dec 10 15:35:55 MST 2009

I have also seen this problem using rsync.

I suspected it was either [a] MTU size too large [b] Excessive CPU load (as
it must do the SSH encryption on the fly) or [c] a problem with the write
caching on the HDD controller.

In my case it was as simple as the RAID controller battery requiring
replacement.  A flat battery on the controller meant that it would not cache
HDD writes and therefore slowed the whole thing down.

I hope this helps.

Regards,  Brian Morris