[clug] Neat Backup Solutions for desktops...

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 15:45:59 MST 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 08:48, Alex Satrapa <grail at goldweb.com.au> wrote:
> I wouldn't touch a commercial Internet-based backup service with a bargepole. Various reasons include: traffic, congestion and privacy.

And on this note, this is one of the reasons that I am not that keen
on having all my data on unencrypted tapes and/or shiney plastic
disks. This is yet another reason why I use dirvish/rsync with LUKS
encrypted ext3 USB/eSATA disks as it means I don't have to compromise
between ease of access to files (the backup is just a mirror of the
data) and security.

So one a backup disk is mounted (via USB) I just do this:

spencer:~$ dirvish-locate spencer-rotor .bash_profile
1 matches in 6 images
/home/rotor/00-work/dotfiles/.bash_profile
    Nov 26 15:41 20091207, 20091206, 20091204, 20091203, 20091202, 20091201

So I now know I have a history of this file for the last week on a
per-day basis, I have another disk that does monthly and yearly
backups that is stored offsite.

I am often amused at the amount of time people put into securing the
whole login process and then leave tar dump tapes lying around
everywhere in their offices.

--
Andrew Janke
(a.janke at gmail.com || http://a.janke.googlepages.com/)