[clug] Neat Backup Solutions for desktops...

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Sun Dec 6 14:48:57 MST 2009

On 06/12/2009, at 15:42 , steve jenkin wrote:

> A friend was enthusing recently about his OS/X system and "Time
> Machine". This ZDnet piece on "Google Backup" prompted a thought.
> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=11720>

I wouldn't touch a commercial Internet-based backup service with a bargepole. Various reasons include: traffic, congestion and privacy.

I use rsnapshot for Unix boxen, Time Machine for Mac Boxen, and I've tarballed the Windows install and stored that on the Linux partition on the same machine. Offsite backups go onto a large USB disk which is stored at someone else's place.

Alex