[clug] Neat Backup Solutions for desktops...

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Sun Dec 6 07:23:48 MST 2009

On Sun, Dec 06, 2009 at 02:38:30PM +0100, Carlo Hamalainen wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 2:22 PM, Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net> wrote:
> > *nod*  My biggest concern, when I evaluated it, was how fragile the backups
> > were: damage to a single part was detectable, it was pretty difficult to
> > recover from because of the length of the delta-chained images.
> >
> > Has this improved in recent years, or did you reach a different conclusion on
> > the risk to me?  (...or some third option I have trouble imagining? ;)
>
> That hadn't occured to me :)   I just backup to two external hard
> drives and also sync really important files to my linode.com server
> using Unison.

Using the technology in PAR files
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parchive) it seems it should be possible
to create parity archives that would allow you to recover from small
amounts of dataloss in the primary archive.

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/