[clug] Neat Backup Solutions for desktops...

Randall Crook rcrook at vtown.com.au
Sat Dec 5 23:52:31 MST 2009

I have a centralized backup solution.

Straight forward.

1. A script that rsync's /etc, /var and /home from all the computers in
my home (ubuntu, OSX or Solaris) to a location on a central box (my
file/print server). It is in cron and runs every night. It first checks
to see if the machine is on then rsync's, so as long as the PC's are
turned on at least some nights in the month it will be backed up.

2. Once a week the central rsync repository and the important
direstories on the file/print server as well as one or two windows
shares on my media center, are tar'd onto a 640 GB USB drive. I have it
formatted as VFAT for portability purposes. This will allow my to
restore files from the tar ball on any system, and having it as a tar
ball allows my to preserve file permissions and ownership.

It's not saphisticated and no where near efficient, but what it is, is
simple and effective. It gives me a backup of everything I need in case
of a disaster.  The two scripts that do the work are only a small but
they work.

I did think about amanda and I have looked at a bunch of other OSS
packages, but it my home PC's, I have hard copies of all my really
important documents etc, and the backup system I have knocked up,
duplicates anything electronic I have so i have mitigated most of the
rest of the risk to a level I can except. What else do I need?.

Randall.