[clug] Neat Backup Solutions for desktops...

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Sat Dec 5 23:35:10 MST 2009

I use a variation of Peter Lieverdink's udev based backup script. Plug
the specified USB drive in, udev picks it up, mounts it in an
appropriate place, then executes a backup script.

http://cafuego.net/2007/11/11/time-machine-kinda

On 12/06/2009 03:42 PM, steve jenkin wrote:
> A friend was enthusing recently about his OS/X system and "Time
> Machine". This ZDnet piece on "Google Backup" prompted a thought.
> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=11720>
>
> Like many 'experienced' admins/Unix Users, I take backup/restores
> seriously on servers I manage for others but have poor or no solutions
> for my desktops...
> The sort of solution "Time Machine" provided for my friend.
>
> Recently I played with DRBD at work and thought "this'd be great to
> mirror my work desktop root&  home filesystems to another m/c".
>
> I've not done that because it didn't seem to be common usage...
>
> CLUG is a broad church with a bunch of talented individuals with
> many/diverse interesting solutions.
>
> Anyone care to contribute what they do?
> Automatic is good.
> Using 'snapshots' of any sort gets bonus points :-)
>

> cheers

--==--
Steve Walsh
RHCE
Vice President / Sysadmin team member - Linux Australia
Networks and Technology - Linux.conf.au 2008
Evil Network Bunny - Linux.conf.au 2009
Networking alpha geek - Linux.conf.au 2010