[clug] More info, please - was Re: Tridge's coffee contraption - photos [SEC=PERSONAL]

Roppola, Antti - BRS Antti.Roppola at daff.gov.au
Tue Dec 1 18:22:29 MST 2009

It's not catered for in most other applicances. Or more strictly
speaking, it's handled by the appliance being double insulated.

Normally switches are on the active line so when "off" only a minimal
amount of wiring inside the applicance is active (i.e. that leading to
the switch). A swapped acttive/neutral iverts this, ensuring the
majority of internal wiring is live (i.e. more opportunities for
accidental human contact).

So I suppose you could also use a double pole switch that disconnected
both active and neutral lines. But this wouldn't offer the same
protection as double insulation in terms of running defects.

I'd go for such simple, easily validated solutions than hoping for an
RCD.

Antti