[clug] Segfault error flooding my logs

David Tulloh david at tulloh.id.au
Mon Aug 31 06:36:35 MDT 2009

PCRE has numerous well known and documented segfault problems, PHP makes
no attempt to catch or filter these out.

Apache forks off a new worker thread* for each request that comes in,
when PCRE segfaults this thread dies. Apache however carries on, so your
server will not go down if a few threads do. I'm not sure if these
segfaulted threads are cleaned up or hang around, if it's the latter
your server may eventually stop responding as it runs out of threads.

David

* Assuming default Apache 2 configuration with mpm-worker model, other
models will vary slightly in effects.