[clug] Using "dpkg -Pa" - a Debian housekeeping query?

Felix Karpfen felix.karpfen at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 19:04:06 MDT 2009

After a couple of hitches, I have managed to dist-upgrade my OS from
Etch to Lenny.

I have ended up with a clean install; but the upgrade removed some 340
packages and left behind the configuration files of the removed packages.

My reading of the relevant man page indicates that "dpkg -Pa" will
remove all the obsolete configuration files in one hit.

Has anyone used this routine successfully?

I would hate to louse up a perfectly-functioning Lenny setup.

Felix Karpfen

--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)