[clug] xorg config

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 20:42:03 MDT 2009

I have Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy (2.6.24 kernel) running on a desktop machine
with an 'Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ' integrated video card. I have
video, but OpenGL doesn't work. glxgears tells me:

Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual

I looked inside xorg.conf and the penny dropped. It's a sawn-off
xorg.conf these days with very little said about video cards, drivers
or screens. All of that stuff is meant to be automatically set up
(somewhere) at boot and you don't touch it. Using the old
'dkpg-reconfigure xserver-xorg'  only asks questions about the
keyboard and mouse now, nothing about video.

So is there another utility I ought to use to set this up or a
resource that will help me manually craft a xorg.conf file to convince
the graphics card to support OpenGL? My Google-Fu has failed me on
this one.

--
MC