[clug] Wireless miniPCI card

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu Aug 27 22:42:28 MDT 2009

BAXTER,Adam wrote:
> Hi,
> Last night at the LUG I found out that my Fit PC has a full size miniPCI slot. Any recommendations on a new wifi card? I'm not sure what the Draft-N support is like in the latest kernels, but it would be very nice to have. The current rt3090 card seems to only support WPA, not WPA2...
>
> --Adam

Actually, that should be: "PCI Express Mini Card" (see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express#PCI_Express_Mini_Card )
That article mentions (under Physical Dimensions) "A half-length card
is also specified 30×26.8 mm.", which is what you have in your FIT.

A Mini PCI card ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_PCI#Mini_PCI )
is an altogether different beast (see the comparative photos in the
both links).

My Kogan Netbook Pro came with the Ralink RT2571 normal-sized PCI
Express Mini card, but that has been swapped out for an Intel 3945ABG
card. Note that the RT is actually a USB2.0 device (appears under lsusb)
whereas the Intel card is PCI proper (appears under lspci).

My Acer Aspire One uses an Atheros AR242x 802.11abg PCI Express Mini
card (proper PCI card).

You might want to check whether your card is USB or PCI. Most PCI
Express Mini sockets should do both, but the FIT is such as specialized
device, it might only do one or the other.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.