[clug] Idle Speculation: Are 'smartbooks' The Killer App that'll knock out Winders?

Ian Munsie darkstarsword at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 21:47:11 MDT 2009

Apologies for the late reply, only catching up on my emails now.

> Nokia's Maemo platform has used GNOME until now,
* has used Hildon until now (which is similar to Gnome, built on GTK
like Gnome and with many compatible APIs allowing many Gnome apps to
be easily ported).

> but it looks like they're moving to Qt for the next version.
* supporting Qt in the next version for 3rd party software, moving
their UI to Qt the version after (presumably to allow them to share
the UI code with their future Symbian phones which are also in the
process of gaining Qt support at the moment).

> Which is also rumoured to be a phone, unlike the tablets released so far.

Indeed, we know it will have 3G support for data and presumably the
same modem can be used for voice if the necessary software stack is
included.

> I'm very interested to see how that goes.

Me too.

-I

--
http://darkstarshout.blogspot.com/