[clug] Idle Speculation: Are 'smartbooks' The Killer App that'll knock out Winders?

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Wed Aug 12 03:19:54 MDT 2009

Hugh Fisher <hugh.fisher at anu.edu.au> wrote:
> Already happening IMHO. I snicker every time I imagine a Flash
> web designer being ordered to make the company web site work
> for iPhones.

I'm surprised Apple didn't make Flash work on the iPhone. I guess they
figured they've got the right monopoly to break the Flash monopoly.

Now that I know that, I can snicker too.

> Google are the trend setter here with Android. This is a
> company that's smart and not hostile to open source, yet
> they decided that to produce something that could compete
> with Apple/MS it should be done without involving the
> community in the development process and without using
> the existing GNOME/KDE software base.

Nokia's Maemo platform has used GNOME until now, but it looks like
they're moving to Qt for the next version. Which is also rumoured to be
a phone, unlike the tablets released so far. I'm very interested to see
how that goes.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au