[clug] Ubuntu encrypted file systems

Ian McLeod ianmcleod75 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 19:25:00 MDT 2009

Hibernate is pretty important to work - this is a big reason to have a
netbook in the first place.  What if only /home is encrypted - that at
least offers some protection against casual theft or loss - and if
someone is that keen to scan var and swap then maybe just let them -
they clearly have too much spare time.  So it's a case of what's 'good
enough' - although ideally I would prefer total security but not to the
point where the system is unusuable.

Performance would be an issue although a netbook really is only for net
use and basic work - and GPS in my case too.

I am leaning toward wiping the install and using the Ubuntu 'alternate
install' method to set up encryption from install.

Anyone else done this on a netbook or laptop?  Any advice?  Is it
possible to retain a working hibernate?