[clug] Ubuntu encrypted file systems

Jack Kelly endgame.dos at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 15:32:48 MDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:58 PM, Daniel Pittman<daniel at rimspace.net> wrote:
> Jim Croft <jim.croft at gmail.com> writes:
>> is there a detectable/measurable performance hit with the encryption?
> On an Atom CPU things probably look a little different: when I benchmarked one
> the performance difference was closing in on an order of magnitude, so it
> might hurt.

In my experience:

I've got an Acer Aspire One with 1.5Gb RAM. I used to run it with
encrypted /, and found the performance to be quite acceptable. I'm
quite happy to use it for light development, which does mean a lot of
time waiting for autoconf and automake to regenerate stuff, but it's
really not that bad.

Incidentally, the ecryptfs approach felt a lot slower than the LVM
approach even though less was being encrypted. Also (AFAIK), ecryptfs
doesn't (yet) obscure directory structure.

-- Jack