[clug] Ubuntu encrypted file systems

Stephen Boyd bunyipr at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 06:57:07 MDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 09:12 +1000, Ian McLeod wrote:
> Also wondering if encryption will break suspend or hibernate which
> would
> really suck, as I really like the suspend to RAM working on my fancy
> new
> Ubuntu netbook when I close the screen.

I have two laptops running Ubuntu Jaunty. Both have LVM encryption; one
also encrypts my home directory.

Suspend to ram works fine on both (had to correct a typo
in /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/20-video-quirk-pm-asus.fdi to get the backlight to resume correctly

Hibernate, however, doesn't seem to work.

Note that leaving a laptop suspended to ram is less secure than a normal
shutdown if you have correctly encrypted the disk(s).

Stephen.