[clug] Ubuntu encrypted file systems

Jack Kelly endgame.dos at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 17:18:09 MDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 9:12 AM, Ian McLeod<ianmcleod75 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have turned up a few sites on the net but all seem complicated.  I am
> wondering if Karmic Koala (next Ubuntu version) will support this out of the
> box so I should wait, or dive in and do it now.

Ubuntu alternate install CDs have supported disk encryption in the
partitioner at least since Jaunty.

Karmic has some pretty compelling reasons to upgrade, though:
- automake1.11 - AM_SILENT_RULES is awesome
- networkmanager supports PEAP with GTC (ANU-Secure works!)
- kernel mode setting is really neat to watch.

There's a known issue with flash on amd64 machines, though, that might
make you want to hold off until after release.

-- Jack