[clug] GPS on Linux

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Wed Aug 12 22:11:33 MDT 2009

Ian McLeod <ianmcleod75 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I thought Google Maps used pretty good quality data, I haven't had a
> problem yet (I use it on my N95).  How exactly is Open StreetMap
> higher quality? Doesn't it rely on people physically mapping the
> country and in theory should not be as good as commercial mapping
> data?

Just like Free software can't compete with commercial software?

OSM is created by people who care, otherwise they wouldn't do it. They
usually use GPS instead of aerial photography or other methods. OSM
reflects what's really on the ground, not (for example) some local
government's idea of what they maybe built once upon a time. It has less
data than Google, but what is there was likely collected by a real
person on the ground.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au