[clug] GPS on Linux

David Tulloh david at tulloh.id.au
Wed Aug 12 21:47:30 MDT 2009

Ian McLeod wrote:
> Would something like this work ok? Both USB GPS devices. Quite
> accurate apparently?
>
> GlobalSat BU-353 SiRF III GPS Mouse
> Or
>
> Transystem iGPS-M Pro 32 Channel MTK GPS
>
> http://www.octapc.com.au/category732_1.htm
SiRF is the market leader and generally considered the one to beat, I'm
not familiar with iGPS.

It's difficult to compare consumer devices as they tend not to give you
any meaningful data, both of those products talk NMEA and should work
with Linux.

Finding a review that's using it in the same environment and for the
same purposes as you would probably be the best guide.
Ignore the channel count it's just marketing. You never get more than
ten strong satellites in the sky and the performance improvements after
about eight would be almost nonexistent.

I would probably tend towards SiRF as the more experienced product.

David