[clug] dist-upgrade to Debian Lenny - flagged boot problem

steve jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Wed Aug 12 17:48:10 MDT 2009

Daniel Pittman wrote on 12/8/09 11:32 PM:

>> Also the release notes say that the "lilo" command needs to be rerun before
>> the reboot that implements the upgrade.  I would expect this command to
>> crash if the syntax of entries in /etc/lilo.conf" are no longer valid. Am I
>> correct?
>
> Maybe.  I don't know enough about lilo to tell you, these days.  It could also
> be that where you hit problems is after the reboot, because the "root" passed
> to the kernel is wrong, so it fails to locate it.

Can you pre-empt the problem by adding new lilo.conf entries for the new
kernel, while retaining entries for the old kernel??

Lilo gets control *before* the new kernel and new device drivers...

Leave the default boot as the old kernel, so nothing changes until you
are happy with the New Order.

First, redo fstab with labels or UUID so it supports both kernels.
You only *need* to do this for essential file systems (/, /boot, /var,
swap, ...).
=> Note, first experiment with & getting working some inessential
partition. When you have the syntax right, copy to just one other
filesystem.  You kept a copy of the original file too, right?!

Then, make a stab at the new entry required in lilo.conf, reboot your
machine & see if it works... No great loss if it doesn't.

Rinse and Repeat until you get the new kernel to boot and its "Happy
Users", or you've hit a roadblock and need to come back to the list.

Happy Hunting!

steve