[clug] Looking for a netbook

jhock jhock at iinet.net.au
Tue Aug 11 16:47:14 MDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-08-11 at 18:38 +1000, Rainer Klein wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Aug 2009, Ian McLeod wrote:
> > We're looking for a netbook - for once in my life my wish actually
> > complements the main goal - to save money - i.e. have Linux.  My wife
> > is, naturally, happy with that idea.  It's for the both of us to float
> > around he house for net use or whatever, and for travel.
> >
> > I heard that Asus (eeePC) once came with a Linux distribution standard,
> > however have anyone had any real experience with Linux based netbooks
> > and have any hints or tips?  Are they restricted to one distro or can I
> > stick Gnome based Ubuntu on one or would something even lighter be
> > advisable?

I have an EeePC 1000 H. It came with Windows XP. I couldn't find one
with a Linux distribution loaded onto it.  However, I just loaded Ubuntu
onto it using a memory stick.  It was very easy.

It runs Bluetooth (though I don't use it). I have no experience with USB
Nokia phone as a 3G modem but I have used the WiFi and ethernet to
connect to our broadband wireless modem.

John
P.S. The EeePC is in for repair under waranty. The hard disk crashed. I
don't know if that is typical of the EeePC 1000 H or if I'm hard on
computers.

J.

> > If it can handle a Bluetooth or USB Nokia phone as a 3G modem that would
> > be fantastic, but I suppose we can live without it if we have to.  I've
> > actually heard of Symbian apps to turn a phone in to a wi-fi access
> > point anyway.
> >
> > Thanks,

<snip>