[clug] dist-upgrade to Debian Lenny - flagged boot problem

Felix Karpfen felix.karpfen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 16:22:42 MDT 2009

Daniel Pittman wrote:
> Felix Karpfen <felix.karpfen at gmail.com> writes:
>> The Debian Lenny Release Notes include the following entry:
>>
>>  4.8. System boot hangs on Waiting for root file system
>>  Procedure to recover from /dev/hda that became /dev/sda
>
> [...]
>
>> Given that only "some users" encounter this problem, what do I have to do to
>> not fall into this "some user" subdivision?
>
> Mount by label or UUID,

This says in 5 words  what the release notes describe in some detail
(and I considered to be a PITA).

While I have now located the needed details for UUID mapping, the
release notes - which assume that I use GRUB to boot - do not give me
any guidance on what needs changing in /etc/lilo.conf.  Specifically how
do I identify the location of the MBR under the new system. Currently,
the relevant entry in /etc/lilo.conf reads: "boot=/dev/hdb"; "hdb" does
not have a UUID.

or use MD or LVM, at which point your filesystem is
> found independent of the underlying physical hardware.

New territory for me - which I would prefer to "not enter".

Thank you for the prompt response.

Felix

--
Felix Karpfen