[clug] LTO-4 drive, turn on compression?

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Tue Aug 11 06:33:34 MDT 2009

Chris Smart <mail at christophersmart.com> writes:
> 2009/8/11 Duncan Roe <duncan_roe at optusnet.com.au>:
>>
>> You may have success with stinit - I did with my HP C1537A. It creates multiple
>> tape devices (rewinding and not) with combinations of fixed / variable blocksize
>> and compression or not.
>
> Thanks, I'll look into that. Today I played with block sizes and
> compression. LZO was very quick but only reduced 3.5GB to 3.2GB.

I thought you said these were text files, predominantly?  That is a very
surprising result for plain text compressed with, well, anything.

> The usual, bzip2, gzip and lzma all went down to 2.4 or so, but were slow as
> you'd imagine. It's still not 2:1 offered by the hardware compression.

I don't know about you, but neither is hardware compression in my
experience. ;)

More seriously, my usual experience has been that hardware compression and
'gzip -3' are about equal, and lzo was, worst case, about ten percent less
efficient.

I can't argue with your testing results, though, even if they surprise me.

        Daniel

   Looking for work?  Love Perl?  In Melbourne, Australia?  We are hiring.