[clug] LTO-4 drive, turn on compression?

Chris Smart mail at christophersmart.com
Tue Aug 11 05:55:36 MDT 2009

2009/8/11 Duncan Roe <duncan_roe at optusnet.com.au>:
> Hi Chris,
>
> You may have success with stinit - I did with my HP C1537A. It creates multiple
> tape devices (rewinding and not) with combinations of fixed / variable blocksize
> and compression or not.

Hey Duncan,

Thanks, I'll look into that. Today I played with block sizes and
compression. LZO was very quick but only reduced 3.5GB to 3.2GB. The
usual, bzip2, gzip and lzma all went down to 2.4 or so, but were slow
as you'd imagine. It's still not 2:1 offered by the hardware
compression.. I think I'll buy some more tapes and try spanning.

Cheers,
-c