[clug] Looking for a netbook

Alex Satrapa alexsatrapa at mac.com
Tue Aug 11 02:32:39 MDT 2009

On 11/08/2009, at 17:32 , Ian McLeod wrote:

> With this in mind - is it possible to open multiple sessions - say
> for example I have KDE running at home and I want to VNC in using
> IceWM or Gnome under a different session, or just text or whatever -
> is this possible? Or another user VNC in while an existing session
> is already running on that PC, both using KDE or Gnome?

You can have it both ways.

You can run an XVNCServer which will give you your own X session,
accessible by VNC. This is for all intents and purposes the same as if
you were running the X server on the netbook, though you can
disconnect at any time and come back to see the X session the way you
left it.

You can also run session sharing which will provide a VNC connection
to the active X session, so you can use the VNC client on the netbook
to see exactly what's displayed on the other computer.

Alex