[clug] Looking for a netbook

Denise Bates dbates at fwi.net.au
Tue Aug 11 02:14:05 MDT 2009

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 14:18:19 +1000
Ian McLeod <ianmcleod75 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I heard that Asus (eeePC) once came with a Linux distribution standard,
> however have anyone had any real experience with Linux based netbooks
> and have any hints or tips?  Are they restricted to one distro or can I
> stick Gnome based Ubuntu on one or would something even lighter be
> advisable?

I'm running Slackware 12.2 on an Asus EEE 701, with no internal problems (my external USB dial-up modem won't work, though). I have had Puppy on it, and that distro felt even more at home on the machine. Why not try a few distros running off a USB stick before taking the plunge. The original Xandros "easy" desktop on the Asus is useless, but with the installation of two extra packages, it will run as a fairly good standard KDE desktop.

BTW, I have noticed that my local (Goulburn) Harvey Norman is selling the Asus EEE 701 for $299-00. Alas, I have two allready.....

regards,
--
Dr Denise Bates <dbates at fwi.net.au>
PO Box 516