[clug] version control help with behaviour driven development?

Arjen Lentz arjen at lentz.com.au
Mon Aug 10 21:02:47 MDT 2009

Hi Alex

----- "Alex Satrapa" <alexsatrapa at mac.com> wrote:
> Just a quick one for the version-control wizards:
> In Behaviour Driven Development, we build specifications (aka "tests")
> to define the behaviour of our program, then write the program to
> match the spec.
>
> When facing legacy code, we build specifications to define the current
> behaviour of the program (the idea being to build a set of regression
> tests to make sure stuff doesn't break).
>
> Can anyone suggest a way to accommodate this scenario: I want to be
> able to have the repository in a consistently "working" state. This
> would mean that anyone else can access the repository at any time, and
> all tests will work, and the code will perform as specified.

If the test can be automated (even if it's web based), then you can set up continuous integration style trickery. You can prevent a push/merge if the testsuite doesn't pass.

Someone else suggested a gatekeeper - that works also, but the key to making any process work is to make sure it's easy for people to use (and preferably easier than what they have now, as well as easy to move to) and having humans inbetween can become a bottleneck. Sometimes it's necessary, sometimes not...

Cheers,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Director @ Open Query (http://openquery.com)
Exceptional Services for MySQL at a fixed budget.

Follow our blog at http://openquery.com/blog/
OurDelta: free enhanced builds for MySQL @ http://ourdelta.org