[clug] Ubuntu Backports

Ian McLeod ianmcleod75 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 06:42:50 MDT 2009

Hi All,

Have anyone had experience using Ubuntu Backports?  The next distro is
out in October and I am keen to try the new KDE and Firefox versions.

Speaking of KDE, I can attest to losing a few solid nights of
productivity to playing around with KDE4 - it's extremely impressive.  I
am just stunned how far Linux has come since I last used it seriously a
few years ago.

I have a sneaking suspicion one could start and run a well managed
business using only open source now - I have heard from a friend that
there a number of ERP and e-commerce solutions to choose from now - he's
starting a business using one himself.

I would like to see some TCO and ROI analyses comparing open and closed
source business software - at least on a small scale.

I notice that some businesses are releasing their products open source
and profiting from the support services now too (beyond Ubuntu).

Is anyone aware of any reports on revenue and profitability growth in
the open source services industry?  Does Canonical (Ubuntu) make any
money?  I could see us paying for commercial support if we had business
critical systems running on Ubuntu.

Regards,

Ian