[clug] Removing Shares from Samba

David Tulloh david at tulloh.id.au
Sat Aug 8 05:10:24 MDT 2009

Ian McLeod wrote:
> Anyone know how to remove shares from Samba? I have tried all the
> utilities and conf files I can find (yes I'm a 'newb' lol) but my
> lounge media box (also Linux powered - a Mediagate unit - open sourced
> too btw) is still showing up a heap of old shares that I want to
> remove to tidy up the menu on lounge TV.
>
> Any thoughts?
Samba shares are typically in /etc/samba/smb.conf
You will find shares as categories marked by [sharename] with some
options following it, comment/delete the whole block.

I believe you need to restart samba after doing this, the method to do
that varies a bit between distributions.
For Debian/Ubuntu it's: sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart
If you can't figure out how to do it a full system restart will always work.

If that you are still getting shares check that they are actually
shared: smbclient -L localhost
It's possible that the Mediagate system is caching old shares that have
been removed.

David

PS: All commands should be entered in a terminal.