[clug] Programmer Competency Matrix

Hugh Fisher hugh.fisher at anu.edu.au
Fri Aug 7 02:18:20 MDT 2009

Mike Carden wrote:
> I ask because it has been my observation that getting to the top of
> that hierarchy of ability will net you a job where you can earn
> NOT_MUCH_MONEY.
>
> And in contrast, being the CEO of such a person, possessing a fraction
> of a clue, will earn you 20 ~ 2000% more money.

The CEO is clueful about running a business.(*) You may rank
at log(n) on that competency chart, but can you handle yourself
in an investment banking meeting?

Different people are good at different things. Don't dismiss
them for caring about things that you don't.

	cheers,
	Hugh

* No doubt some aren't, but then a lot of programmers aren't
either - that's why the 2^n column exists.