[clug] Programmer Competency Matrix

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Fri Aug 7 00:27:41 MDT 2009

On Friday 07 August 2009 16:11:24 Alex Satrapa wrote:
> On 07/08/2009, at 15:34 , steve jenkin wrote:
> > What do people think of this approach?
>
> I'm still trying to understand the implication of 2^n ... log(n) in
> the titlebar - are they suggesting that someone with more knowledge
> can solve problems faster? Are they suggesting that they need fewer
> programmers at this level of competency?
I'm not sure either (so much for communication skills of whoever wrote it).
Perhaps that a person at this level will produce solutions that work at
O(whatever). So a basic coder will produce a solution that is O(2^n), and a
guru will produce a solution that is O(log(n)).

> "Proficient in using CVS and SVN features. Knows how to branch and
> merge, use patches setup repository properties etc."
>
> The assumption here being that knowing about git is better than being
> able to use Subversion... I'm not sure that I follow. Surely knowing
> about branching and merging in the chosen toolset is more important
> than knowing how to checkout/checkin with git versus Subversion?
In addition, they want everything at a lower level. So I'd be in the bottom of
this category - I can do dated folders, and I can do CVS and SVN, and have
used git, hg and bzr. However I've never seen VSS (I'm just guessing Visual
Source Safe?).

I'm pretty much all over the shop on this list, which I guess is consistent
with being an amateur coder.

Brad