[clug] Open Source Project Management

Ian McLeod ianmcleod75 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 05:51:42 MDT 2009

Hi,

I am new to this group and look forward to meeting everyone at the next
meeting on August 27.  I'm a happy Ubuntu user at home and have been
using Linux on and off since 1997.  I turned off it for a while however
over the last year or so I don't recall the last time my home PC was not
booted in to Linux.  KDE4 just rocks, and Linux just seems to do
everything I need.  Except games which I don't play much these days.

Anyway, I need to develop my software project management and business
analysis skills so signed up to project manage an open source project
needing a bit of a lift.  It seems to be a bit of a new field.

Dotproject looks like an interesting programme management tool, and
there is another spin off called web2project worth investigating?

I'm wondering if others have some experience with open source project
management or open source project management tools?  Common risks,
issues and strategies to look out for?

If dotproject works I am tempted to suggest it at work as they baulked
at the cost of a Microsoft EPM (Enterprise Project Management) solution
due to the GFC, etc although I still believe any organisation with more
than 2 projects requires some sort of EPM set up.

Would really appreciate a factual discussion on open source project
management, and ideally to see dotproject in action and to learn how to
set it up at home.  My wife is also quite interested in it as she likes
the low capital (licence) expenses associated with open source.  She is
actually interested to see how far she can get project managing and
running a business venture on open source or free software (I have even
heard of open source e-commerce solutions that are apparently quite good).

Open source seems to have come quite a way in the broader world since my
first heavy forays in 1996 through to 2003.

Oh and I am also teaching myself Bash and Python (programming in
general) and would like to share thoughts with people to enhance my
learning :-)  One project I have in mind if it's possible is an open
source insurance asset tracker to file away receipts and information on
assets in case of disaster or theft - for personal and business use.

Cheers and nice to meet you all :-)

Ian