[clug] remote X performannce

Brett Worth brett at worth.id.au
Mon Aug 3 00:07:27 MDT 2009

2009/8/3 Michael James <michael at james.st>:

> We are trying to run an application remotely over X.

I'll bite.  ( I must be having a slow day)

Are you doing direct remote DISPLAY?  I find that if you're trying to
do remote X then the best way is to use "ssh -X -C" because runs a lot
faster.  The compression is a must.

That aside I've been using the non-open but cost-free nx for about 18
months with great success over a remote link with ~600ms ping.  I've
never tried the open version.

Using vnc over a port forwarded compressed ssh session can be OK but
not as nice as the nx sessions.  I use thunderbird over nx a lot with
great success.  Firefox over nx is OK but youtube suffers. :-)

Brett