[clug] remote X performannce

Michael James michael at james.st
Sun Aug 2 22:38:35 MDT 2009

Dear CLUGgers,

We are trying to run an application remotely over X.
It's of about the visual complexity of Open Office.
It needs a really grunty workstation to do anything useful,
  peoples desktops don't cut it, hence the need to run it remotely

Running from a machine on the same local switch
  we get visible re-draw delays but usable performance.

Running from Brisbane back to Canberra we get ...
  "You have re-sized your screen, go have lunch
  while you wait for the changes to take effect".

The network looks good, a long ping gives
  no packet loss and a rock steady 16.6 mSecond delay.

Why is the network having such a bad effect?

Are we:

1)	Doing the wrong thing, forget it.

2)	Doing something that might work.

3)	Doing something that should work.

4)	Doing something that would work better using NX.

TIA,
michaelj

--
Well theme my emoticons disgusted. What has Linux come to?
Michael James