[clug] Upgrading question

Dave Upton dave.upton at y7mail.com
Thu Apr 30 13:22:06 GMT 2009

>In theory no. That said there will always be small things that might
>break but certainly most things will "just work" with a polished
>distro such as Ubuntu.  What specifically in terms of settings do you
>want to keep? or are afraid to loose?

I am thinking along the lines of Wine and programs that are installed under that and then such things as my mic which took me ages to get working.  But also stuff like additional repositories that were added or adobe or flash and those sorts of things.  The little things that make life easier and more pleasant.  For experienced users it is probably a stroll in the park to get them up and running again but for me it will be more like a marathon or maybe by now a half marathon.  I am not averse to doing it just wondering although Andrew's answer suggests these things will migrate (mostly/probably/usually)

Then again I am also wondering if upgrading to the the latest version every six months is worth it?  Oh dear I think that last question means I haven't truly morphed into a fully fledged Linux user.

I liked the descriptions of the various fests.  I realise I missed one which was a fixfest but I think I can guess what it is now and that pony tails, pizza and computers will be involved.

Thanks

Dave U