[clug] uppdate software for navig8r M35 GPS navigation system

David Tulloh david at tulloh.id.au
Wed Apr 29 08:32:31 GMT 2009

Stephen Gibson wrote:
> Since, this is a Linux list, I would like to note that the navig8r M35
> has an ARM processor (which is used to run windows CE).
> Anyone know if it would be possible to install ARM Ubuntu on this mobile device?
> It only has a USB interface to the outside world and it is not obvious
> to me how to interrupt the windoze boot process ...

I'm sure it's possible.  You can probably boot it off the SD card, maybe
with a magic boot from me file.

The more important question is why would you want to?

A low cost device like this almost certainly has a GPS radio chip in it
and does the actual processing in the ARM chip.  I'm not aware of any
open source GPS processors at that level, though there may be one built
into the Android system.

Even if you could drop in a GPS implementation the value in the device
comes from the map software.  The best open source mapping software I've
seen just plots points on a map file.  You might find something in the
Android project again but I suspect that any phone based system would be
inferior to what you have right now.

If you want to have a generic linux system in your car it's probably far
easier to adapt an existing Linux system to the car.  Chopping the case
off something like a Chumby would be fairly simple.

David