[clug] debfoster..

Paul TBBle Hampson Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com
Mon Apr 27 07:07:30 GMT 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:52:41AM +1000, Sam Couter wrote:
> Andrew Janke <a.janke at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just discovered a new toy for the debian/Ubuntu'ites.
>>
>> Sort of akin to deborphan it allows you to "clean up" by going through
>> a list of packages that require the most number of other packages
>> installed and you can choose to keep them or not.

> I used to use debfoster, and before that deborphan, but these days
> neither of them are necessary. Aptitude already does what they do.

apt-get itself has also grown automatic-installation dependency
tracking, but I still use deborphan for tracking down things I might
have pulled in by hand or transitional packages which aren't
automatically installed.

I didn't like debfoster because I had to think about each package in
turn, while with deborphan I could go through the list it produced and
cherry-pick the big and easy-to-recognise things first.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
Very-later-year Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/au/