[clug] Re: beginners' CLUG

Rod Peters rpeters at pcug.org.au
Sat Apr 25 00:52:54 GMT 2009

On Friday 24 April 2009 20:06:57 linux-request at lists.samba.org wrote:
> Re: [clug] Re: beginners' CLUG
>  From: Keith Goggin <keith.goggin at bigpond.com>
>  To: linux at lists.samba.org
>
> On Friday 24 April 2009 10:47:33 Lana Brindley wrote:
>  <snip>
>
> > CLUG still has a lot of barriers, although I certainly appreciate that
> > work that people like Paul are doing to help change that.
>
> May I add my vote to that and at the same time say I also appreciate the
> work that Rod, Rainer and others are doing for Linux beginners in the PCUG
> linux learners SIG.
>
> One big difference between CLUG and the Linux Learners SIG is that the
> latter meets during office hours while most CLUGGERS are hard at work. So
> perhaps its no accident that most of us oldies look first to the Linux
> Learners SIG for face to face support and social contact.
>
> I think having TWO Linux groups and their associated mailing lists in
> Canberra is a good thing.
>
> By the way, Lana, the PCUG Linux Learners SIG does occasionally have
> requests for help from women and I'm sure all attendees would welcome a
> talk from you.
>
> I know that would mean taking an hour off work for you but perhaps you
> might consider it worth while?
>
> PS I've always assumed the CLUG list was 'closed' because my (few) posts
> seem to take some hours to appear on list and I thought the delay was due
> to the need for approval by the list administrator. Can anyone explain?

Perhaps you have subscribed to receive "Linux digest", as I have, rather than
individual postings.  The latter are less useful to someone who is not at
their computer for all the working day.

The digest is sent out at (irregular ?) intervals.  I assume that the interval
is determined via some algorithm.

Rod