[clug] samba performance

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Fri Apr 24 16:26:01 GMT 2009

I did some reading and tried some suggestions but I think that smb
is not as fast as it should be.

I have two linux systems that use smb shares (there is Windows around
that uses it too). I can only see 24MB/s when transferring a file
either way. The 1Gb wire shows 117MB/s raw performance.

Normally, dd'ing a 256MB file to /dev/null is satisfied from memory
after the first attempt.

/data is a share on e7 that exports a local directory /data.

I know that
	rsh e7 dd if=/data/256MB bs=16M >/dev/null
goes as fast as the wire.

The same test over smb:
	sync ; echo 3 >/proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
	dd if=/data/256MB bs=16M >/dev/null
gives only about 24MB/s. Repeatedly. I assume that the file is
cached on e7 (the server).

Any pointers to tuning notes are appreciated.

TIA

--
Eyal Lebedinsky	(eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)