Fw: [clug] beginners path

Brendan Jurd direvus at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 13:24:12 GMT 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 6:45 PM, Dave Upton <dave.upton at y7mail.com> wrote:
> I have found answers to problems I have faced such as getting my mic to work but the solutions I find tell me to open a terminal and then type one or several lines of commands and hey presto it works.  I have no idea why or how or what I typed but it works.  Nice but I like to know what I did and why so if faced with a similar problem I just might be able to nut out the solution.

`man`!

Every time you have to use a command you don't know, type `man <name
of command>`.  This will pull up the manual page, which should give
you all the necessary clueing up.  Read the man page, and when you're
done, use the command.

This single strategy is basically the golden key to learning
everything about working with Linux you'll ever need to know.  It
really is that straightforward.  Just `man` everything you come across
and it will come together.

At least, that's what worked for me.

Cheers,
BJ