Fw: [clug] beginners path

Lana Brindley lanabrindley at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 01:14:55 GMT 2009

2009/4/23 jm <jeffm at ghostgun.com>

> Subject changed to reflect content.
>
> Forked this thread to address the topic. The other issue is the issue of
> list spam. The over lap is wheather this discourages beginners. However,
> this is moot if we don't hove beginners in the first place.

Thanks Jeff.

> Lana Brindley wrote:
>
>> It's not difficult. It's because people need help getting started. It's
>> because of LUGs like
>> this one deciding they are too elitist to help with newbies. It's because
>> of
>> the lack of
>> assistance people get from a list that they have been recommended to as a
>> good
>> resource.
>>

> Is there currently a good path for beginners to linux in Canberra?

If there is, I don't know about it. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

> Is this well known and publicised, eg on the clug.org.au website and else
> where?

See above.

> Does it tie in with the other actions of clug?

This would be better addressed by someone other than myself. I don't attend
meetings for a number of reasons, which I can expound upon at length, but
won't.

> If PCUG direct heavy/advance Linux users here. Should we direct beginners
> there as suggested be someone else?

I appreciate the fact that a "PC User Group" has a SIG for Linux - I think
that's great. I also think it's awesome that they redirect "advanced" users
here. The question is not so much "should we redirect beginners to PCUG?"
but "do beginners belong in CLUG?". Unequivocally, I would say that
beginners *do* belong in CLUG ...

A Linux User Group or Linux Users' Group (LUG) is a private, generally
non-profit or not-for-profit organization that provides support and/or
education for Linux users,* particularly for inexperienced users.*
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_User_Group - emphasis is mine]

A LUG is the place that Linux beginners are consistently directed to for
help. I myself have frequently directed new Linux users to their local LUG
for assistance. If CLUG is too elitist to consider allowing newbies the
chance to have their questions answered, then they're undeserving of the LUG
name.

> et cetera.
>
> Jeff.
>
> --

Lana

--
Cheers! Lana

My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I
start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake.
I feel better already.
-- Dave Barry

http://lanabrindley.blogspot.com

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html for more