Fw: [clug] Flirting Techniiques For Men (Paul Wayper)

Lana Brindley lanabrindley at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 00:46:59 GMT 2009

2009/4/23 Rod Peters <rpeters at pcug.org.au>

> On Wednesday 22 April 2009 22:00:34 Paul Wayper wrote:
> > Donald Benesch wrote:
> > | There's a lot of this type of email getting thru lately.
> > | I just today deleted 3.
> > | Don
> >
> > I'm with you Don.  Is there any reason why we need this list to be
> writable
> > by non-subscribers?  If you want to post to the list, then subscribe -
> it's
> > that easy.  That way you see the replies to the list too.  The only
> people
> > who don't join the list before posting to it seem to be spammers and
> people
> > who want to ask questions about using Samba under Linux, and neither of
> > them seems interested in the replies...
> >
> > Can the person who administrates the list - not I - please set it to
> > subscriber-only posting?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> Agreed, why should we promulgate their spam.
>
> Some of the discussion in this thread advocates a need to have a point of
> contact for Linux beginners.  Agreed, but I doubt that CLUG has many
> beginners.  It appears to me that most are either IT professionals or IT
> professionals in training.  It's hardly effective use of scarce Linux
> skills
> for them to be stepping beginners through eg a distros "repartitioning
> proposal".  After all, a typical Windows user hasn't the foggiest what a
> partition is or why Linux needs more than C drive.

Have you ever wondered why it is that CLUG doesn't have many beginners?
I wonder how much of it is because of lists such as this suddenly deciding
that beginners are too far below them to want to help them out?

I also think you're underestimating a "typical Windows User". We're not
talking
about "typical" Windows users in this instance. We're talking about people
who
have used Windows enough to that they want an alternative. These people are
probably aware of what a partition is. Consider the fact that most people
start off
using Linux as a dual-boot with Windows.

> I suggest that the CLUG subscription page redirect beginners to beginners
> groups such PCUG Linux SIG and any others locally of which CLUGgers might
> be
> aware.

Linux Users' Groups exist to help Linux Users. That means beginners too. How

do you expect to get advanced users if you're not willing to help people
start out?

If helping out beginners is beyond the scope of what you wish to do, why not
form
an advanced group? I don't recall anything I have read that says you
shouldn't
join a LUG if you're a Linux newbie. In fact, quite the opposite, most
newbies are
recommended to a LUG for help. It's also, as far as I was aware, one of the
main
reasons this is a public list.

> FWIW, our experience within PCUG Linux SIG is that a large proportion,
> perhaps
> the majority, of beginners don't persist with Linux.  Difficult to say why,
> in
> the absence of much feedback, but I suggest many aspects, often boiling
> down
> to "comfort zone".

It's not difficult. It's because people need help getting started. It's
because of LUGs like
this one deciding they are too elitist to help with newbies. It's because of
the lack of
assistance people get from a list that they have been recommended to as a
good
resource.

Cheers! Lana

My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I
start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake.
I feel better already.
-- Dave Barry

http://lanabrindley.blogspot.com

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html for more