[clug] Android developer phones?

Ben Coughlan ben.coughlan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 05:48:51 GMT 2009

On 09/04/2009, at 3:23 PM, jm wrote:

> Starting to look seriously at getting a Andriod based phone, but
> prefer to see one in the flesh first. Anyone with an Andriod based
> phone going to tonight's psig talk?
>
> To any andriod based phone owners in general:
>
> * Where did you buy your phone from?

Optus shop in Woden.  I think Telstra has just started to offer it as
well.

> * Is it the Dev version?

No.  The only difference I'm aware of, is that the dev version allows
root access to the OS.  People have been able to jailbreak non dev
phones.

> * Had any problems with it?

Not so much.  It has crashed and rebooted on me once.  Still beats my
old Nokia E65.

> * How much did it end up costing you (in AUD please)?

on contract for 24 months on a $59 cap + handset repayments of
$13.64.  I don't think you can buy it outright (unless you get a dev
phone).

> * Over all impression?

I'm pretty happy with it.  Touch screen and menu navigation is very
responsive.  It does require a gmail account to link with.  The
battery life can be iffy.  It charges completely in about 2 hours, but
that will only last about 24 hours.  Of course turning off things like
wifi and GPS make a very large difference, as does your frequency of
use, web browsing etc.  I personally love having SSH capabilities on
my phone :)

> * Anything else?

Developing applications for it is interesting.  I haven't done much
with other mobile platforms, but it is certainly easy and logical.
The SDK allows for very easy interaction with the device itself.

It does not support tethering!  I always used my old phone as a modem
for my laptop, unfortunately google is still figuring out where they
stand in terms of the telcos terms and conditions.  Jail breaking the
phone (or a dev phone) will allow the kernel modules required to
tether the phone and applications are available on the market.

The camera leaves a lot to be desired.  It is also the feature I care
the least about.

A spiffy little trackball makes up for those times you're trying to
click on something small, surrounded by other small somethings using
the touchscreen.

> Trying to find firm pricing for the developer version but don't have
> a android market place login and don't wish to pay $US25 to join
> just to get a price.

Last I heard, it was around the 350USD mark.  The price should be
available before you join.