[clug] Are these Apps that good?

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Thu Apr 9 00:09:07 GMT 2009

steve jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au> writes:

> Anyone use these Apps and can comment?

Transkode, and the underlying transcode, I have used, and I think they
are very, very good at what they do.  mencoder is simpler, often, but
transcode is very much a "Unix" tool, and works on a pipeline of
operations built from small tools.

I have only made very limited use of Transkode, since I mostly have very
simple needs these days and found it only to the end of that period.

Transmission I found very poor compared to either Azureus / Vuse or
KTorrent from KDE 4(.2), so wouldn't recommend like they do.

Ark is ... passable, but no better.  It works OK with KDE, but doesn't
really do anything fancy enough to justify advocating.  Plus, bad UI.

I agree with the assessment of nano: it makes a good editor if Emacs and
VI are not your cup of tea, and is certainly vastly simpler than either.

MultiTail is ... pointless, as far as I can tell, because "I need to
watch multiple logfiles routinely" is better translated to "I have no
effective monitoring of my logfiles, so need to peep in them often."

Finally, TinyCA is good, but I prefer xca.  The former is packaged in
Debian, though, so I will probably look to it next time I need to find
something.

The others, no idea.

Regards,
        Daniel