[clug] How to cope with broken ISP mail services?

grail at velocitynet.com.au grail at velocitynet.com.au
Thu Apr 2 00:41:42 GMT 2009

My ISP has disabled off-net mail submission services. That is to say that
I no longer have access to an SSL-securied SMTP service with
authentication. At this time, I can only send messages through SMTP by
being on-net (ie: at home, connected over the ISPs own ADSL services) and
using unsecured SMTP - no SSL and no authentication.

At first glance, I think my options are:
 - Give up my grail at goldweb.com.au email address after 15 years
 - Sign up with a second ISP who will provide a secure off-net MSA - Give
up on using a mail application and use the web-based mail interface -
Agitate the current ISP into either restoring off-net MSA (or pissing
them off so they cancel my account)

Are there any obvious solutions I've missed?