[clug] Dual ADSL modem router

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu Sep 25 04:49:40 GMT 2008

Peter Barker wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Sep 2008, Adrian wrote:
>
>> I am looking to purchase a dual ADSL modem and router. I want two ADSL
>> lines so that I can increase my upload capabilities.
> ..
>> Are there an catches/tricks to doing this?
>
> FWIW, I crossed this with my provider, for the same reasons you stated.
>
> They said that *technically* they can do it, but they don't think it's
> worth it.
>
> If you have two lines into the house but they're the standard
> 2-pair-line, then speed increase you get is marginal at best, they say.
> I didn't ask them why, but I'd assume crosstalk.
>
> Let me know if you find out otherwise!
>
>> Adrian
>
> Yours,

We have two lines into our house and they come in as completely separate
2-pair cables. I would be very surprised if there were any significant
crosstalk between them, but I could be wrong. If the two services were
on separate pairs of the same 2-pair cable, I could imagine that there
_might_ be some crosstalk. But the Telstra services from the exchange
to their little wiring posts in the street carry hundreds of pairs of
wires and many of them would have ADSL services on them, I would think,
so I would be surprised if even a single 2-pair cable couldn't deal with
two simultaneous ADSL services.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.